Thursday, October 10, 2013

How to help my fiance stop snoring?

Question by Savannah Rhae: How to help my fiance stop snoring?
It's four in the morning, and I'm up because my fiance's snoring is keeping me awake. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks and I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried getting him to sleep on his side or on his stomach, but once he's asleep he just flops right back over onto his back. Which would be alright if I could just nugde him and ask him to turn over again, but it takes about five minutes of shaking and talking into his ear to get him to wake up. Needless to say, if it wasn't for me he'd never be on time for work lol I'm a VERY light sleeper so even though he doesn't snore as loudly as some people, it still keeps me up. He has gained some weight, and I know that that causes your soft pallate to press down onto the back of your throat, but losing weight isn't something he wants to do at the moment. Is there ANYTHING else I could try?? We don't have $ 800 to spend on a mouth piece unfortunately. I just thought there might be some obscure home remedy to this. If anyone knows of anything, no matter how odd, please let me know. Thanks! :)
We tried the breathe right strips and they didn't do a thing. Earplugs would work, but I have a feeling those would keep me awake too. Worth a try though at this point lol


Best answer:

Answer by Rachel M
Breathe Right Strips are a godsend.



What do you think? Answer below!

5 comments:

  1. Wear ear plugs. - or - move to another room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to nix the breathe-right strips and agree on the earplugs. my ex used to snore, and we used the breathe-right strips, but the strips would come un-stuck in the middle of the night and there he'd be, snoring away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would see a doctor about his snoring, you can do it alone and anonymously if you think he wouldn't want to go with you or would be offended. Ear plugs are a good idea, but beyond that the doctor will probably have a number of options - they won't necessarily involve surgery either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He should ask his doctor to arrange a sleep study. Based on what you describe there is a very good chance he has sleep apnea, which is a serious condition, hurting his health as well as your sleep. There are remedies (including surgery and the CPAP machine.) Yes, these cost money, which good health insurance should cover. But it's not just an annoyance, it's important for his health and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no solution, My wife loves me enough to wear ear plugs - I suggest you do the same. (I even had an operation but I still snore.) Avoid alcohol this definitely makes you snore more, and sleep on your side and lose weight. That's enough tips for now.

    ReplyDelete