Monday, August 26, 2013

For those living with someone with sleep apnea, how can you get used to it?

Question by Kagome: For those living with someone with sleep apnea, how can you get used to it?
I need some tips on living with someone with sleep apnea. My father was diagnosed while he was in prison with sleep apnea and was on a cpap machine. When he was released he was not on a cpap machine and has snored horribly, keeping me up all night. I've tried to talk him into doing a sleep study so he can get a cpap machine but he has told me numerous times that he wants to wait until he loses weight and gets his diabetes under control. His diabetes is under control, but he is still convinced that he will stop snoring once he loses weight. He doesn't realize that he snored just as bad as he is now when he was a healthy weight.

My room is right next to his, the walls are paper thin, I am losing so much sleep I don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone with this kind of experience give me some tips on how to get used to it?


Best answer:

Answer by Oilfieldtrashwtx
Get your self a "sound machine" it can produce the sound of the ocean, a soft rain shower etc. turn this on and try to concentrate on that sound for long you will only hear it and not your father.
As bad as the snoring is you should actually listen to the snoring no matter how bad, sleep apnea people are know to stop breathing, and not be able to restart their breathing. You may the only alarm he as at this time with out the machine.



Give your answer to this question below!

3 comments:

  1. Go to any major pharmacy/drug store and ask them for ear plugs. They have many different kinds and they WORK!! Don't go for the sponge ones, they don't block sound out that well....get the ones may of soft rubber...they shut out everything!

    I have a fear of thunderstorms, so I have ear plugs and when I wear them, I can't even hear the thunder, so I'm sure they'll work for your dad's loud snoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he waits until he loses weight, he could die from the apnea. He needs to use a CPAP and then when he DOES lose weight, he may not need it any longer.
    you could take a benadryl before bed and it might make you so drowsy you won't have a choice but to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 60% of the persons suffering from sleeping problems are overweight , so weight reduction, avoiding alcohol or sedatives before sleeping or mechanical devices which keep the windpipe open may be prescribed by doctors.More details and remedies at http://nosleep.in/sleepapnea.html

    ReplyDelete