Monday, June 17, 2013

Should I go to the doctor to see about snoring/sleep apnea?

Question by :]: Should I go to the doctor to see about snoring/sleep apnea?
I'm fifteen years old and my friends tell me I sleep really weird.. I stop snoring for like 3 minutes then I start doing this whistling thing and this goes on all night long. I have super bad sinuses so could it be sleep apnea? What can doctors do if it is sleep apnea?
Oh, and after three minutes, I gasp for air they say. My family even notices.


Best answer:

Answer by kecgoddess
Go to your doctor and see about a referral to a sleep clinic. They hook you up to a whole bunch of wires that monitor you as you sleep. Afterwards, they may suggest a c-pap machine which consists of a mask that you wear to bed and it forces oxygen into your lungs while you sleep. Also, if you quit breathing at night while you are sleeping, not good - that is what the c-pap machine is for.
Ask your parents to schedule you an appt and go and talk to the doctor!!
Good luck!



Add your own answer in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Well you should definitely talk to your doctor about this.
    If it's sleep apnea you'll get a cpap machine to sleep with...Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and it keeps it so your throat open with air so your breathing isn't obstructed when you're trying to sleep.
    I suggest getting it checked out asap...sleep apnea can cause death...some people stop being able to breath and don't wake up...good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, definitely sleep apnea, I don't know if you are overweight but if you are then losing weight definitely helps.
    If you find yourself gasping during the day which sometimes comes with OSA ( the o is for obstructive) then you might consider surgery or meds. I would go to the doctor if you have time

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do have sleep clinics in most states where they observe you while you are sleeping. Any sleep disorders would be detected. You may want to try the breathe right strips and see if that shows any improvement.
    http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html
    http://www.breatheright.com/Snoring_sleepapnea.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other answerers are correct in their information. You need to start with your family doctor who will refer you to a sleep clinic and the testing for sleep apnea will be done there. This does sound like sleep apnea and getting it treated early will reduce your chances of an early heart attack later in life. One thing you can do now - if you are overweight, dieting to lose weight and daily exercise (walking is easiest) can improve this condition.

    ReplyDelete