Monday, July 1, 2013

Who has had that tissue removed from their throat to stop snoring?

Question by La Cicada: Who has had that tissue removed from their throat to stop snoring?
I would like to know of the experience with the surgery, did it help? How long were you incapacitated?


Best answer:

Answer by TeriR
Hello. I had the uvula and excess soft palate tissue that had developed from frequent sinus infections removed to stop snoring and sleep apnea. My doctor told me it had only a 50/50 chance of stopping the sleep apnea. Fortunately, I landed in the good 50%, and no longer have a problem with sleep apnea. My husband says there's still a bit of what he would call snoring, but it's actually more a little sinus noise. With the uvula gone, there's nothing in the back of the throat to vibrate and make the loud noise usually associated with snoring.

Other than being in pain and not being able to talk very well, I was only incapacitated for about two days. However, I also had a deviated septum repair at the same time. Having both nose and throat surgery meant that I was in more pain and incapacitated longer.

All in all, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's been very good for my health.

Good luck!



Give your answer to this question below!

1 comment:

  1. I had it done several years ago (uvula and soft palate actually burned off). It didn't stop the snoring at all. I even had it done a second time. I wasn't incapacitated as such, but the pain was horrible. I think the pain lasted for a couple of weeks. It felt exactly like a hot poker in my throat.

    The snoring stopped for about a month each time I had the procedure. Then it came back just as bad.

    This snoreguard has helped me more than anything:
    http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/shop/mouth_breathing_devices/somni_snoreguard.php?PHPSESSID=7423b9d9c45b41f35308e1e83644f8e8
    It takes some getting used to but after a couple of weeks, no problem. Watch the video on that page.

    Also, I have a couple of side effects from the surgery: getting strangled and choking easier, and drooling at night. I had never had those things before, especially the drooling. The uvula actually serves a purpose.

    ReplyDelete